I'm writing in a personal capacity as a paintings conservator with no
knowledge of natural history conservation. I have several very friable,
small, fossilised fish in laminated limestone, dug up (legally!) in Fossil
Butte, Utah, for those that know it. I wondered if there was something that
I could easily do at home to 'fix' them so that I don't have to worry about
them flaking. The sort of spray fixative used for charcoal drawings crossed
my mind, but I have no idea whether or not that would be appropriate in
this situation. The fossils are in no way rare or valuable (literally
millions exist from the same site) but they are of personal interest and
value to me. I'd be grateful for any suggestions from those with expertise
in this area.
******