Lara Broecke wrote:

I'm writing in a personal capacity as a paintings conservator with no knowledge
of natural history conservation. I have several very friable, small, fossilised
fish in laminated limestone, dug up (legally!) in Fossil Butte, Utah, for those
that know it. I wondered if there was something that I could easily do at home
to 'fix' them so that I don't have to worry about them flaking. The sort of
spray fixative used for charcoal drawings crossed my mind, but I have no idea
whether or not that would be appropriate in this situation. The fossils are in
no way rare or valuable (literally millions exist from the same site) but they
are of personal interest and value to me. I'd be grateful for any suggestions
from those with expertise in this area.

Reply:
Paraloid B-72 works very well for consolidating flaking and fragile fossils.  I
would recommend  5 and 10 % solutions of B-72 in 90:10 acetone:ethanol.  Start
with the thinner solution and apply the thicker solution on the more
open/lifting areas.  You can apply it using a soft brush or by pipette. With
this low a concentration, you should not have any shiny surface or excess on
the surface.

Stephen Koob
Chief Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass