We have a collection of glass bottles containing pharmaceuticals from the
mid1800s.  They are housed in a doctor's medical chest, the kind that was used
on passenger ships. The chest and bottles will be on permanent exhibit.
Several bottles contain nontoxic substances, and are broken.  Other bottles
contain hazardous chemicals such as hydrocyanic acid, nitric acid and sulphuric
acid.  I would like to repair the broken bottles, keeping samples of the
contents.  I am considering the logistics of removing the toxic substances from
the other bottles.  The curatorial preference is to leave the bottles as they
are and to not handle the contents. Has anyone had experience in dealing with
this kind of collection?  What are the prevailing attitudes toward decanting
the substances and keeping samples in storage instead of on exhibit?  Replacing
corks?

There are also drawers in the chest that contain medical instruments and other
objects. What is the accepted approach to dealing with potential biohazards
present on medical equipment?

Lisa Bengston
Conservator
Royal BC Museum