Hello all,

I've got some acid-free tissue that's been giving me some odd, fluctuating
pH readings, and a paper conservator suggested I reach out to you.

I'm working on a hat and shoe rehousing project and ordered a roll of
unbuffered, acid-free tissue from Gaylord.  After I was partway through the
project, I tested the tissue with a Lineco pH pen which shows purple for
materials 6.8 pH and above and yellow for other, more acidic values.  It
was yellow, so I contacted Gaylord and they sent me another roll from the
same batch that they had marked and found to be purple.

The roll sat in its box in my office for about a week before I opened it.
The mark that they had put on top was still purple and pieces that I tore
off the edge and tested with my pen were also purple.  (It's worth noting
that the pen seems to mark things properly in other cases, from acid-free
file folders to pieces of modern [acid-free] printer paper, to acidic
cardboard boxes.)

The roll sat in my office out of the box for about another week, maybe a
week and a half.  At that point, I noticed that the purple mark they had
made on the top of the roll was yellowing, the pieces I had torn off and
marked before were now yellow, and new pieces that I tore off and marked
were yellow.

My office doubles as our rare book room, so there are a lot of acidic
materials in the area, though none have been in physical contact with the
paper.  Much of this happened in July in Minnesota, so the temperature was
controlled, but the humidity fluctuated and was higher than average.  There
is a piece of printer paper in my office that I marked a month previous,
which was purple and the color has not changed since.  Buffered file
folders and unbuffered document boxes in the room have also not changed
from purple in the past month.

We moved the roll into our Collections Storage Room, which is temperature
and humidity controlled, a few weeks ago.  I just looked at the roll and
the line Gaylord drew on top is mostly purple.  I drew several new lines on
top and they are very purple.

I recently retested the roll, which has remained in our CSR.  The marks on
top are still distinctly purplish, as were new lines that I drew.  They are
not a bright purple, but they are also definitely not yellow.  I tore off a
new piece and tested it.  It was yellow, but in the places where I went
over it several times, it took on a purplish hue.  Now, after several days,
it is definitively yellow.

I'm wondering if any of you have ever seen this before.  Is the paper
actually changing pH?  Is it just the pen reading changing?  Is there
something wrong with my pen?  With my paper?  Is this going to harm my
collections?  Is this a problem with all acid-free tissue, just with
Gaylord's, or just this batch?

Any and all advice and knowledge is welcome.

Thanks,

Amanda

--

Amanda Roberts