Dear colleagues,

I am looking for advice regarding the preservation of a large quantity of
archaeological dairy found within a ceramic vessel. The dairy was presumably
preserved in the permafrost until shortly before the start of the
archaeological excavation (disturbances in the context probably contributed to
the melting of the permafrost).

After excavation, the dairy was kept cold and transferred to a freezer upon
arrival at the museum. I am now looking for information regarding the ideal
conditions for preservation of archaeological dairy - for example, ideal
freezer temperature or packing materials. I would love to hear from people who
care for collections that include archaeological foodstuff (bog butter?), or
who have worked on excavations where food was found. What challenges did you
face in the preservation of archaeological dairy/food and how did you address
them?

Thank you very much for your help,

Charlotte Parent
******