Here at the Royal BC Museum, a large (for Canada) public museum and archives,
we have entered into discussions over the roles of conservators versus
registrars, collection managers/curatorial assistants, preparators and "object
handlers".   Historically, in addition to regular conservation treatments and
preventive conservation tasks, the conservators at our institution have been
responsible for all condition reporting, installing artifacts in exhibits,
packing and crating objects for loan and travelling exhibitions, and providing
courier services when necessary.  We currently have two people who staff our
Central Registration department and their work does not usually involve any
collection handling.  We do not have Object Handlers per se, but rather
conservators, preservation technicians/conservation technicians and collection
managers (similar to curatorial assistants).   However, we're aware that some
other institutions have larger registration departments and/or distribute
responsibilities differently to other staff members.  We would be very
interested to have answers to the following questions from other medium to
large public museums:

1. How many conservators, registrars, collection managers/curatorial
assistants, preparators, object handlers or other collections staff, including
curators if they do some of this work, in your institution?
2. Which staff members are responsible for:
a)     condition reporting material for loans and exhibits?
b)    installations and couriering objects when necessary?
c)     collection packing for loans and travelling exhibitions?
3. If other staff members are responsible for condition reporting and
collection packing, what training do they have for these tasks?
4. Do you have a written policy/procedure for determining when it is necessary
to send a courier with loans of collections?

We appreciate your input as we face possible restructuring of our organization.

Kasey Lee
Senior Conservator
Royal BC Museum
675 Belleville Street