On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:46:36 -0400, Jacob or Nancy Bloom via Contra Callers
wrote:
> Balance The Star was written to go to Beaumont Rag.  It's a simple dance,
> usually done as a Sicilian Circle, so it
> may not be what you want for your crowd.

That's the one I was going to suggest.  Here's how I explain it:
https://barndances.org.uk/detail.php?Title=Balance_the_Star
and the vital phrase is "turn your back on your partner" - if callers can't get
that across there is general confusion.

Also a contra by Susan Kevra where she actually specified "Beaumont Rag and
similar":

Country of Marriage

Longways      Becket, single prog.              32 bar rags

A1:     Circle left 3/4.  Do-si-do neighbour to a wave.

A2:     Balance right and left; ladies allemande left all the way (rapidly).
Swing neighbour, finish facing across.

B1:     Right & left through.  Men allemande right 3/4 to meet next man;
allemande left with him 3/4 while ladies move to
left.

B2:     Balance and swing partner.

Dance: Susan Kevra -- English Dance & Song, Winter 1992.

Colin Hume

Email co...@colinhume.com      Web site http://colinhume.com