Ragtime tunes actually often go *slower* than flat-out reels.

Their grove isn't a fast

deedlediddledeedlediddledeedlediddledeedlediddledeedlediddledeedlediddle

like note-y Irish, or

diggachukkadiggachukkadiggachukkadiggachukka

like hot southern.

They go more like:

DAda, da, d'da Da - UH!
DAda, da, d'da Da - UH!
DAda, DAAdada, DAda, DAAdada,
dadada DA d'da DA - UH!

SO -- do NOT do dances that are sinuous and connected and snake-y spaghetti-y.

They will feel weird and pointless.

Instead, try dances that have that 1 - 2 - 3 - UH!
built right in.

Long lines forward and back.
Allemande 1/2 way to form a line and balance the line.
Petronella type turns.
Balance and box the gnat.

That kind of stuff, where your body makes shapes on the floor that are
sharp four-beat lines that reverse and turn around and stop/start on a
dime.

Steve Zakon's ZigZag has the right idea, but the zigzag thing happens
in the B, I think, and Beaumont needs it in the A. The B is where the
more connected-y stuff is, where you want the swings.