Here's how I learned:

"Everybody promenade the usual way, two-by-two around the room - now
stop where you are."

"Starting from this point right in front of me (gesture to where head
couple of center set usually stands for contras), you're going to
count off in pairs of couples and take hands four in this big ring.

"Half of you can just stay facing the usual promenade direction - you're 1s"

"Half of you will need to turn as a couple and face the 'wrong'
direction - you're 2's".

It links the role of 1s/2s to the familiar line-of-direction we use
for promenading and coupledancing

-- who feels most "normal", and who feels as if they're
accommodating/supporting.