Hi All,

During the Kernel call this past Tuesday, we talked about attempting an
isolated transition of AAA restful web services from Jersey 1 to Jersey 2.
I attempted this change yesterday, and was able to partially convert (I
just temporarily removed non-essential code that would've required
overhaul).  However, when I compiled NETCONF next to test RESTCONF, I
quickly realized that:

1) jersey-2.26 won't behave well, since it relies on javax.ws.rs-api 2.1
and jersey 1.17 relies on javax.ws.rs-api 2.0.1.  This leads to a Uses
constraint violation since the dependency is provided via two chains (and
two different versions too!).

2) jersey-2.25 won't work for a similar reason.  Even though it relies on
the older javax.ws.rs-api 2.0.1 which is currently in place, jersey 1.17
repackages javax.ws.rs-api.  This means that utilizing the off the shelf
javax.ws.rs-api 2.0.1 causes another Uses constraint violation, since the
dependency is provided via upstream properly and jersey 1.17 in a
repackaged form.

I am starting to really agree with the sentiment that we should just stick
to only one implementation across the board.  Additionally, I believe that
isolating this in an API (utility or not) will help the transition since
there will be a single point to toggle the implementations.  We may want to
also discuss the drawbacks of jersey 2.  Namely, it appears to require a
ton of overhead dependencies and starts a bit slower in newer versions.
Maybe that is fine, but we should fully understand the tradeoffs before
investing more time.  We should also settle on what the intended version
should be for jersey 2 if we go that route, since jersey-2.26 is a lot
different than even jersey-2.25.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Ryan