Hello everyone,

as noted at the DDF and https://jira.opendaylight.org/browse/TSC-207, I
would like to transition the controller project to being MRI.

There are multiple reasons for doing this:

- it is mandated by our goverernance since day one, it's just that our
processes were not up to par in the early days. That is no longer the
case, as the history of odlparent/yangtools/mdsal clearly shows.
- it will lower our infrastructure resource consumption (autorelease,
distcheck jobs)
- our codebase is very stable, with good mechanisms to support
versioning going back as far as Lithium, there simply is little pressure
to get changes out immediately
- being part of MRI cycle will improve ergonomics for downstreams, as we
will be entering the MRI version bump with controller fully ready

Unlike the previous MRI split-offs of odlparent/yangtools/mdsal, I do
not believe controller is ready to also transition to strict SemVer
rules -- we have not consolidated our codebase yet and we will need to
sweep our codebase at some point for defunct/unused remnants. I would
hate to see that effort being hampered by artificial rules.

That having been said, we should (and will, if I can help it) maintain
reasonable compatibility where our downstreams are concerned.

I am therefore raising the following vote for controller project
committers, please vote with usual +1/0/-1:

Do you agree to controller transitioning to being a Managed Release
Integrated project?

Thanks,
Robert, voting +1 :)