On Mon 10 Mar 2003 19:26, Ben Reser posted as excerpted below:
> Fact is the documentation does decrease questions.  But it will never
> eliminate them entirely.  It would be much easier if when people asked
> commonly asked questions we could direct them to concisely written
> documents, rather than typing the answers out again over and over and
> over again.

I've thought about this b4, re other projects..  If I was a web page coder, it
wouldn't be to hard to take copies of my posts to the newsgroups or mailing
lists and redo them a bit, to post on the web, with a URL attached that I
could reply with, instead of repeating the same several hundred line
explanation over and over...  Here, that's always been in the "it'd be nice
if.." category and I've never gotten around to it.  However, one regular on
an ISP's DSL group that I used to hang out in did just that, taking his
material, mine, and that of another regular that helped in the group, edited
them a bit, and posted them on his site.  The site quickly became an oft
cited reference both for us in the group, and for the ISP tech help as well.

(FWIW, the ISP was uswest.net, the group uswest.dsl, and the author Randy
Lutton.  The site was part of his home page.  USWest.net is now Qwest.net,
but I just checked, and the site is still there, at
http://www.users.qwest.net/~rlutton/ADSL/ -- note that the ADSL must be in
caps.)

I did, at one point, create a boiler-plate answer that I could cut and paste,
for a couple of questions, but that's as far as I ever got..

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin