From: "Thomas Backlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > From: "Jure Repinc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > The problem is still here in 9.0 RC1.
> > >

> Seems to be related to /etc/modules.devfs
> I'll try to check/fix? this tonight...

(It's fun to reply to oneself, isn't it ...)

I checked out the kernel mailing list and found the reason for the
'kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k ... '

It seems that kmod is not perfectly happy with the module-loading,
initrd, and ramfs..., and modprobe is not in the initrd,
so the line above is it's way of complaining...

This from the kernel-development mailing list:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-poweredge&m=102373052629234&w=2
wich basically states the above... (modprobe not in initrd, error should be
harmless,
since initrd script still loads the needed modules)

and here some more, since the modprobe error is not restricted to scsi
devices:
--- quote begin ---
 there are very bad-looking messages during the boot process for
ALSA and other code using request_module() when a real root filesystem is
not mounted:
--- quote end ---

I also red in an older message that the kernel developers is trying to get
rid of this
error message (/dev/null), without removing actual error messages (tricky
part)

Solution:
Since it does no harm to the system AFAIK, and the system works just fine,
either ignore the error message,
 or
recompile the kernel with the modules built in... ==>> no more error
messages ...

BTW, is it possible to add modprobe to the initrd ??  (possible fix?)

Thomas

*** Tämä viesti on VirusTarkistettu INRITEL OY:n postipalvelimella!! ***