On Friday 11 October 2002 08:19 am, Jason Straight wrote:
> On Thursday 10 October 2002 07:17 pm, Todd Lyons wrote:
>> Jason Straight wrote on Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 09:45:45AM -0400 :
>>> If I had a nickel for every file reiserfs fragged on a busy server it
>>> still woudln't come close to paying for the downtime - ext3 is rock
>>> solid.
>> Reiser definitely has its benefits.  I have seen reports of people that
>> use it for news servers where expires normally take hours.  With reiser
>> it does it in (IIRC) 15 minutes or less.  When things go wrong, a newbie
>> is scared by the daunting task of repairing the fs.

>> [...] he swore to never use Reiser again.  (That's the wrong
>> attitude because on any other file system, the abuse he put it through
>> might have rendered it completely useless).

> For me the problem was that files which weren't even being written to would
> get fragged with data from other files ending up mixed in with them. This
> would happen on machines that had been running for long periods of time
> with uptimes nearing 200+ days. Suddenly files like sendmail.cf,
> httpd.conf, and probably many others I didn't notice on multiple servers.

I've just had a power failure at a client site and Reiser killed a file in
/usr/lib/ somewhere needed for PostFix: when I try to start PostFix, that
process and anything that tries to go through the filesystem after that (on
that machine, anything except Pick/D3, and even that when it does a sync()
call) freezes.

Cheers; Leon