On Tuesday 15 October 2002 04:18 am, rowland wrote:
> On Monday 14 Oct 2002 11:23 am, J. Greenlees wrote:
> > Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> > > also, the 486sx (at least the first ones) did has a coprocessor; it
> > > was disabled but was still there (though i don't rember if it was
> > > missing pins or some silicon hack).

> > actually, it was a bad bit of circuit if I remember correctly, the co
> > pro was completely un-usable because of it and the cpu was a lower price
> > for that reason.

> if I remember rightly it was a batch of  i486dx's that had this problem,
> the fpu just couldnt add up properly given the right set of circumstances
> and intel had to change all the affected chips!

486sx was 486dx sans FPU and on a skinnier buss. To add an FPU, you bought a
487sx chip, which was really a 486dx that had failed some factory tests and
been packaged for the skinnier buss. For a little while, some motherboards
had an option to run with _only_ a 487sx, because they were significantly
cheaper than a 486sx and usually worked fine (sometimes faster, because a
486sx had no CPU cache at first but many of the 487sxes did).

Cheers; Leon