quel> --- Original Message ---
quel> From: rcc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
quel> To: Cooker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
quel> Subject: [Cooker] kernel 17mdk NVidia

>> the driver builds but when first used the whole machine crashes
>>
>> and it crashes hard: no response at all, black screen, network
quel> is dead,
>> no magic keys, all logs only contain garbage
>>
>> has anybody build nvidia on the new kernel? Maybe my
quel> post-install script
>> screwed up somewhere.
>>
>> I'll test some more.

quel> Two different machines:

quel> 1. A Dell dimension with a TNT2. The machine boots but crashes as
quel> above when I try to start X. Booting with the pci=noacpi option,
quel> the machine runs fine.

quel> 2. An ASUS-7N266 with Athlon 1700, embedded GeForce2, the machine
quel> does not even start booting unless acpi=off is passed on the
quel> command line.

quel> It looks like the whole acpi thing is quite flaky. Why are the
quel> files in /proc/acpi when all the doc show them in /proc/sys/acpi?

quel> acpid looks for the rules in /etc/acpi/events and fails to start
quel> because this folder does not exist. Where is acpictl?

Long story, basically:

- acpid is obsolete & ospmd is very alpha :(

- I am packaging ospmd (first need software suspend to work).

- ACPI code in kernel is very old and buggy, new code is _way_ better,
  but perhaps still not perfect.

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy