On Sunday 09 February 2003 05:30 am, Preston Cody wrote:
> My Problem: I have an Nvidia TNT2, so I need to get the nvidia drivers
> from their website, compile them, and manually edit my XF86Config-4
> file.  The average user shouldn't have to do this.

They have RPMs which work flawlessly out of the box on Mandrake 9.0, and also
(I'm happy to report) 2.4.21.0.pre4.1mdk rebuilt (took all day but, even on
an Athlon 1800) on Mandrake 9.0 with release 4191. I grab the .src.rpm files
and do a rebuild on them.

If you want working, binary RPMs for 9.0, ask and ye shall receive by email.
They're running this box, which has been dead stable. The 2.4.21pre4 kernel
is running my sister-in-law's box, which has not had long enough to tell yet
but has been good so far.

My wife's box uses a GeForce2 card on another motherboard, and that loses
everything but the mouse cursor about once a week, oftener if the card isn't
kept clean, so I'm blaming that on hardware until I can replace the card.

I can also send you a 2.4.21pre4 kernel binary and/or source with rebuilt
binary RPMs for that (things like IDE CD burners work better), but...

    *** DANGER WILL ROBINSON ***

...if you install 2.4.20 or beyond, you cannot revert. It tinkers with ext3
filesystems, and the vanilla 9.0 kernel refuses to mount the results. I had
to borrow my camera as a usb-storage device to shuffle more pieces across
when doing so broke the NVidia ethernet driver (works with my RPMs under
2.4.21pre4).

> What furthers my problem is that I had to download and compile a
> separate kernel in order for the nvidia drivers to want to compile.

Not so in my case. Want those RPMs?

Cheers; Leon