Hi Folks,

Well, here's a question that I've been thinking about asking this forum for literally years. I'm not a great cook like my wife of 35 years but I've always cooked and consider myself a reasonably decent cook. However, there's one thing that drives me crazy over the years. I just can't seem to <pardon the pun> lick it. It's like something so simple that even though I'm a college-educated, reasonably intelligent musician for forty years, the problem is so stupid that I'm just missing something or on the other hand, is it a relevant small problem for totally blind people.

The question, how in the heck do Y'all spread peanut butter to your desired thickness on bread? So far, which is all of my life since being born without sight, I've had no problem spreading mustard, mayonaise etc, on bread. However, spreading peanut butter on bread for me is like going to war with Skippy or Peter Pan, lol. I try not to touch the bread as much as possible when making a pb sandwich for someone else. I don't mind being tactile with it when I'm making it for myself but it's still war.

I mean, pbutter was not meant to spread, no matter what they say. For me, it clumps up when it first lands on the bread and proceeds to build itself into a nice ball which is quite willing to follow me all over the bread while I try to spread it. As I try and spread the little ball or balls out all over the bread, the peanut butter concentrates on establishing a little village of ball houses surrounded by roomy yards of bear bread, lol. Oh I finally get it done, but when I do, despite my best efferts, I usually end up with a sandwich with very thick peanut butter in some places and other places with apparently Please Limit Peanut Butter signs I can't see, <grin>.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions about how you attack the peanut butter spreading problem as well as how you generally spread anything on bread the way you wanted it, not the way it wants it, sort of a spreading tutorial for the blind. Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Whew, thank goodness I don't really like jelly, <grin>.

Lee Mounger