To summarize, you can have the colander in the sink and know where it is placed
and pour the contents of the pan into the colander, you can get a pasta pot
that has a liner with holes in it that you just pick up and the liquid remains
in the pot, you can get a lock lid pot or saucepan from one of the catalogs
with equipment to help people who are blind/low vision or a specialty store for
cooking or amazon, or you can buy water proof gloves to wear so you do not burn
yourself with hot liquid.  All of them are great ideas.  When pouring a liquid
from anything pitcher, milk carton, pot, that weighs quite a bit, I put the pot
near the edge of the sink and place the cup colander... below it in the sink
and tip the vessel I'm pouring from until it pours into the container in the
sink.  If it's liquid that you want to keep, you can use a finger for cold or a
liquid level indicator for hot liquids.  You can also use the weight of the
liquid or the sound of it pouring if you are pouring into
 a glass or cup, especially a glass.  If you get the cilicone gloves that make
you think of lobster claws or a long mitten, you can literally put your hands
in boiling water to pick something up.  I learned the hard way that you can't
use the short silicone oven mitts because there are seams that water can leak
through.  You have to make sure it is a solid cilicone glove meant for use with
liquids.

Hope this helps!

Marcie Brink-Chaney CVRT CATIS
Visually Impaired Services