I have seen some recipies that call for plain yougert instead of the mayo.  mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Cookinginthedark <cookinginthedark-boun...@acbradio.org> On Behalf Of
Pamela Fairchild via Cookinginthedark
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2020 10:28 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: pamelafairch...@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [CnD] New to the list and cooking tips

I did cook the pork chop tonight, am a well-seasoned cook though not a
beginner. It turned out just fine. I don't know if I would use the mayonnaise
again or not as the agent to stick the bread crumbs onto the meat. I could
still taste the mayonnaise after cooking. Not everybody would though. I would
certainly use it in a pinch or if in a great hurry. It turned out better than I
thought it might, the topping stuck to the meat and crispened on both sides,
even though I didn't turn the meat. The chop  did not stick to the pan, which I
did butter ahead of time, the pan was easy enough to wash, and the meat was
cooked through. I cooked it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees using the convection
setting on the talking toaster oven. The chop was a thick center cut boneless
chop, at least 3/4 inch thick. It was cooked in the center.
When you use the talking thermometer, put it in the meat at an angle to get the
most accurate reading. You don't want the tip to exit to the bottom of the pan,
nor to rest on top of the meat, or to touch bones. If you don't get enough of
the tip into the meat, your temperature will register too low. And as for the
pan, I save pie tins when they come without air holes in the bottoms, and if I
run low I purchase a stack of them from the grocery store. I butter or oil the
bottom of the pie tin and just go for it. It saves the trouble of lining with
foil, and the foil doesn't stick to the food that way either. If my food sticks
to the pie tin I don't feel too bad about throwing it away. When I cook pizza,
I put parchment paper on the pizza pan before I put my crust on the pan. If the
crust is made from scratch I either oil the pan very well, or oil the parchment
paper before putting the homemade dough on it. It saves a lot of cleanup. If it
is a pan pizza where you want the oil to work itself into the crust then you
just generously oil the pan as I said and leave out the parchment paper..

Pamela Fairchild
<pamelafairch...@comcast.net>