From: Cookinginthedark <cookinginthedark-boun...@acbradio.org> On Behalf Of
Pamela Fairchild via Cookinginthedark
Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2020 8:40 AM
To: 'Cooking in the Dark' <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Cc: pamelafairch...@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [CnD] pancakes

I don't know a good way to make more than one pancake at a time, so I use a
small pan, 7 or 8 inches across, butter it well, heat it to medium, pour the
batter in, about a third of a cup, half cup at most. Let it sit for about 3
minutes. Slide your turner under. If it doesn't go easily, it is not cooked
enough or it is stuck because of not enough butter.
It should lift easily and you can flip it in place. The second side only
takes 30 to 40 seconds.
Most of the reason for pancakes that break apart as you turn them is that
you tried too early. The top should be almost dry with just a few bubbles
left on the top. If there is a lot of liquid on top, don't try to turn it
yet. If it smells like it is starting to burn but isn't ready to turn, your
heat is up too high. It takes practice, but you can do this with time and
patience, and lots of practice and errors along the way. Then one day, it
will just work for you.
As for getting them round, they might stay round if you use a third or half
cup measure to pour from and keep your hand steady as you pour. If you have
problems your batter might need to be made thinner or thicker. I like
thinner better, making thinner pancakes, but that's just me. If I had my
way, all pancakes would resemble crepes in nature. But thicker ones might be
easier to flip if you have enough patience to wait for them to cook enough
first.
Good luck, and have fun.

Pamela Fairchild
<pamelafairch...@comcast.net>