Dear Stan, Len et al:

I want to apologize to the 10,000 or so who have emailed me about coot in the last couple of days. I've been working on a proposal and my children declared biological warfare on me, so I've been a bit slow about responding. I hope you will forgive the blanket, impersonal reply.

I have installed your 10.5 intel coot binary to run on my intel Imac using Fink.

When I source the program, the following error message appears:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libXrandr.2.dylib
 Referenced from: /sw/bin/coot
Reason: Incompatible library version: coot requires version 4.0.0 or later, but libXrandr.2.dylib provides version 3.0.0
Trace/BPT trap

Is there an easy fix to this, or should I just go to the pub.

For coot on 10.5, I installed the latest X11 with the hope it would improve things, and this has newer versions of some libraries that get linked dynamically, which has caused many people some grief.

To get the newer X11, go here:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz

You can check to see if it is the right version this way:

otool -L /usr/X11/lib/libXrandr.dylib
/usr/X11/lib/libXrandr.dylib:
/usr/X11/lib/libXrandr.2.dylib (compatibility version 4.0.0, current version 4.0.0)

The Apple X11 guy is now working with coot to try to fix the bug that causes it to freeze or crash, and there will likely be a new release soon. The problem is beyond my very limited abilities, I am afraid.

So start the download and then go to the pub.

I've been using your cootautoopener and have trouble with crosseye stereo. using a ppc mac and a thin 20 inch diagonal screen, when i expand to a larger viewing area, the stereo images are not the same size. i can sometimes use a work around by quitting and re-starting but this often doesn't work.

my screen currently is running at 1920 X1200.

any idea what i am doing wrong?

The auto-opener is just a wrapper for a shell script that starts coot for you, so that is probably a red herring. Window resizing in the context of Apple's X11 is a bit buggy. In my case, once I go into stereo mode, and then leave, I can no longer make the window any smaller.

I saw what you describe on linux once, but not OS X. However, I've seen other weird stuff on OS X that probably is due to the same bug.

The safest work-around in this case is to start coot without the auto- saved script, which will resize your window. Size the window so that it is the desired size vertically and then 1/2 of the desired size for stereo horizontally, and then switch into the stereo mode. It should then do the right thing. If you save the state and then re-start in mono, the window will be too large, so this is an irritation, but I can't think of a better way to deal with it.

----

Further notes: I still haven't figured out hardware stereo on 10.5. Unfortunately I don't own such a machine, so I can't do a whole lot.

Bill