FYI,

I have found that Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) is capable of running Coot, CCP4i, and Pymol flawlessly with an NVidia GeForce 9000-series card with compiz and all the whiz-bang desktop effects enabled on my Intel DG35EC motherboard. The only thing I have discovered so far that does not run correctly with compiz enabled is MLB-TV in full screen mode. (Sacrifices must be made.) This is an improvement over Fedora 8, which I was running before. I'm waiting to upgrade to Karmic Koala until some of the Gnome and PulseAudio bugs are worked out. It's still a little flaky on both real and virtual machines for me right now, even with a fresh install.

Cheers.

Ed Pozharski wrote:
In Ubuntu 9.10, coot appears to be fully compatible with compiz when
running on Intel graphics card.  So there is no need to disable the
visual effects anymore.

--

Roger S. Rowlett
Professor