Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked, but after some searching I can't find hints.
Apologies if redundant, but can someone refresh me on how to get Coot to be
graceful about residues with insertion codes...particularly during real
space refinement. I have a protease structure with very good
resolution/density but some odd numbering conventions with insertion code
(e.g. 124A, 124B, 124C between residues 124 and 125 numbering) in other
areas continuous residues have non-contiguous numbering. When doing real
space refinement both situations tend to blow apart, each individual
insertion code-numbered residue becoming its own disconnected amino acid
and well out of the density, I assume due to sterics and it not
interpreting these as being connected. Also common in Fab structures.

I know there are painful workarounds to number it contiguously without
insertions and then add back when done refining (but then you find one more
thing...), but I am aspiring to greater elegance these days. Also hoping I
don't have to define with LINK records or such for each case?

Thanks,
Seth