Hi all,

I am increasingly dealing with large macrocycles or cyclized peptides that
include unnatural amino acids or modifications. Early on my approach was to
treat most of it as the native peptide scaffold, then add a few custom
'LINK' records to capture covalent bonds to some non-native moiety, and
that moiety would be defined as we do for small molecule synthetic ligands.
Advantage was that it was efficient for refinement of the conventional
amino acid scaffold. Disadvantage, a bit cumbersome and I do find that
while the covalently bonded attachment point is reasonable, the neighboring
atoms to that new attachment don't always behave reliably (as in perhaps
don't have the knowledge that their neighbor has something new attached
which affects their space.) As our chemists got more creative, it also is
tedious to sit there trying to make 5 or 6 little bits and pieces that all
have to be attached to different atoms along the scaffold. Plus the
bookkeeping of made up names for little extra ethylenes, halognes, and
their atom name attachment points and such was pretty painful.

So, that led to approach two, which was to just let the dictionary
generation happen for the whole peptide or macrocycle. This ignores
knowledge that it's essentially an amino acid type of base scaffold (so a
bit inefficient for purists) and just redefines all those as if it's some
small molecule, albeit a relatively large version of one of those. You also
lose residue number indexing, as the whole thing is typically called "LIG"
with a single residue identifier, but it seems a small price to pay for the
convenience of it taking care of all the sundry modifications and
cyclization points, etc.

The problem I'm having is that COOT is having trouble reading or using
these large .cif files. The files may be 1000 or more lines long with the
hydrogens defined. I've tried dropping all hydrogens but it's still large
and when I go to real space refine or do any editing to move the starting
conformation of the molecule in question into the clear density for it
bound to some protein, Coot basically hangs either indefinitely or for
several minutes at a time at least with each attempted motion, step. Is
there some memory allocation for the .cif dictionary that perhaps is
limiting? I don't have a handy non-proprietary example currently, but could
likely generate one if needed. Or have people had success with this
approach (e.g. taking a 10-14 amino acid peptide, treat it as a SMILES
string and generate a .cif for the whole thing as a single molecule and
then be able to use it in real space refinement in Coot? )

I've tried a few workarounds to get the atoms pretty close and then let
reciprocal space refinement do the rest, but there really aren't so many
good ways to do that (Pymol's sculpting drifts, was playing with Isolde but
having similar technical issues with the restraints definitions).

Thanks for thoughts, or info on Coot and large .cif dictionaries?

Cheers,
Seth