Mandy Chung wrote:
David Holmes - Sun Microsystems wrote:
Hi Mandy,

 661 JVM_ENTRY(jclass, JVM_FindClassFromBootLoader(JNIEnv* env,
 662                                               const char* name,
 663                                               jboolean throwError))

Can't we now drop the throwError parameter altogether?

Yes, I could. I agree it doesn't need this throwError parameter. I decide to leave it since it helps to avoid the synchronized pushes. JVM_FindClassFromBootLoader is already in a promoted build. I can push the JDK fix and HotSpot fix at the same time. Note that the JDK fix and HotSpot fix are pushed and integrated in two different gates and at different time.

If I modify the signature, I would have to push the HS fix first (say b68). Wait until b68 is promoted, then I can push the JDK fix in b70.

If you strongly feel that I should drop the throwError parameter, I could make the change.
Mandy,

I see in ClassLoader#loadClass that you still allow findBootstrapClassOrNull to throw CNF. I assume this is needed until there is a promoted build with the updated JVM_FindClassFromBootLoader, after which you will go back to clean it up - do I have this right? If so, they perhaps this helps with the justification to do this in two phases and eliminate throwError before any code can call it.

Otherwise, good work. I hope the reduction in CNF exceptions will make a measurable difference.

-Alan.