On 09/17/2009 12:56 PM, Alan Bateman wrote:
I haven't seen any proposals to eliminate the logging but rather the suggestion is that this logging should be re-examined because there are way too many loggers created at startup. For example, one of the suggestions that Mandy has put in 6880089 [1] is that there be a logger per core component rather than class.

I have to say that that is not the best possible solution. For instance, the sun.awt.X11 classes have many different loggers: for focus-related code, for insets-related code, and so on. If a developer debugs a particular kind of problem, (s)he doesn't need to look through all the garbage that other loggers generate: it's just enough to enable a particular logging facility (such as the "sun.awt.X11.insets.XDecoratedPeer" for example) and examine what (s)he really needs.
Combining all the output to just one logger will make debugging a nightmare.

I would second to Oleg: improving the performance/design of the existing logging classes at java.util.logging package would help all applications at once.

--
best regards,
Anthony