I think this is somewhat of a red herring.

After all, there are many classes which live in java.lang which are
fundamental to the operation of the platform, and which any language which
lived on top of the VM would have an intimate relationship with (eg Object,
Class, String, etc).

If we are moving to a point of view in which the Java language is not
central to the platform, but rather first among equals (by removing all
direct dependencies of the JVM spec on the JLS, etc), then in an ideal world
these classes would live in java.core or java.platform or something. That
would of course break the whole world, so is clearly not going to happen.
The best we can do is not make the situation worse for future amendments, by
not placing additional classes which are not specific to the Java language
into java.lang.

I am puzzled, however, by your assertion that dynamic invocation is closer
to the language than 'not', ie closer to the language than the platform.

Non-Java languages have been making use (and shipping support for, in some
cases) of dynamic invocation for quite a few months now. The experience of
those language's implementors has been integral to the development process
of this feature. The Java language has been playing catch-up throughout.
It's fantastic that it's in the JLS now and I look forward to seeing some
first-class implementations of it, but this feature really wasn't crafted
with Java as the pre-eminent use case.

Ben