On 25/06/2012 18:03, Joe Wang wrote:

:

I'm not sure about catching and ignoring the ServiceConfigurationError (or "keep on trucking" as Paul termed it in one of the replies). The existing specification reads " Any Exception thrown during the instantiation process is wrapped as a <something>ConfigurationException" so this seems a significant change to me.

Indeed, that would be a significant change. I think I said I'm not going to fix 6975142, or make it work for jdk7 and older in that matter, but then I still allowed that to dictate the JavaDoc. I guess it's in my mind for too long, or it's because the whole ServiceLoader thing was actually started when I looked at old bugs and found 6975142 :)
6975142 seems to be a case of someone trying to use two versions of the JAXP API in the same application. That's a bit different to having different service provider implementations installed. For now I would suggest focusing on the latter. Jigsaw aside, I think it's it would be good for JAXP to be using ServiceLoader anyway.

-Alan.