I see a 20% performance gain on server vm if switch to pure char[] based encoding and then use the sharedSecrets to avoid the copy. The dis-advantage is (1) have to use the sharedSecrets and (2) can't share the same between the encode(byte[])
and encode(String).

Anyway it appears to be an alternative for performance improvement.

-Sherman