Hi Sherman,

thanks for your details.
Has this discussion been on the list, and I have missed it?

I see a problem with hiding the "singleton" choice:
Developers might tend to repetitively invoke
    public static Encoder getEncoder(int lineLength, byte[] lineSeparator)
instead reusing the the same instance.
(Note: It should not harm, to move the
     Objects.requireNonNull(lineSeparator);
to the general private constructor.)
In case of a public constant
    Encoder.RFC4648
... developer would be aware about the re-usability of the encoder.

IMHO, the get...() methods are just waste of source lines and bytecode
footprint.

But in contrast to the v4 I like the inner class approach: Base64.De/Encoder.

Little nit: In lines 89,100,127,128,138,149,159 the indentation is 5 instead 4.

-Ulf