On 23/02/2013 23:35, David Holmes wrote:

Before we rush down this path. Atomic operations on 64-bit types are not supported natively on all 32-bit platforms. Atomic updates on those platforms will degenerate into locking - which is the barrier to implementing frequently used counters in the first place.
I understand, and clearly more work/investigation is required, but I think it's worth looking into, particularly if Nils and others are going are adding further counters and instrumenting code dynamic to use them.

-Alan