On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Volker Simonis
<volker.simo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Alan Bateman <alan.bate...@oracle.com>wrote:
>
>> On 15/01/2014 06:24, David Holmes wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not a fan of runtime checks of this kind though if it is only a very
>>> samll number of values it might be okay.
>>>
>>> Another option would be to make those classes into "templates" as done
>>> with Version.java.template and substitute the right values at build time.
>>>
>>> But I'll let Alan and net-dev folk come back with their preferred
>>> technique for this.
>>>
>>>  I plan to spend time on Volker's webrev later in the week (just too
>> busy with other things right now). For the translation issue then it's an
>> oversight in the original implementation, it just hasn't come up before (to
>> my knowledge anyway). The simplest solution here maybe to to just move them
>> to sun.net.ch.Net and have them initialized to their native value.
>

> Do you mean sun.nio.ch.Net right?
>
> Do you propose to completely remove the definitions of the POLL constants
> from:
>
> src/share/classes/sun/nio/ch/AbstractPollArrayWrapper.java
>  src/solaris/classes/sun/nio/ch/Port.java
>
> and replace all their usages by Net.POLL* ?

Hi Alan,

I think sun.nio.ch.IOUtil seems even more appropriate to me for these
constants. What do you think?

Would it be OK for you if I initialize them right in the static initializer
of  IOUtil based on "os.name" or do you prefer to have native methods which
return the right constants?

Regards,
Volker