On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Alan Bateman <alan.bate...@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 16/01/2014 09:38, Volker Simonis wrote:
>

> Hi Alan,
>
> I think sun.nio.ch.IOUtil seems even more appropriate to me for these
> constants. What do you think?
>
> Would it be OK for you if I initialize them right in the static initializer
> of  IOUtil based on "os.name" or do you prefer to have native methods which
> return the right constants?
>
> I have a small preference for sun.nio.ch.Net because these constants are
> used with Net.poll.

I just thought because poll is more file-descriptor oriented and not
network specific. And the constants are also used for example in:

src/macosx/classes/sun/nio/ch/KQueueArrayWrapper.java:
src/solaris/classes/sun/nio/ch/sctp/Sctp*
src/solaris/classes/sun/nio/ch/Port.java

But actually I have no prefernece here so I can put them just as well
to sun.nio.ch.Net

> Would you be open to separating this one from the AIX
> changes? The reason is that it isn't AIX specific, rather just an oversight
> that hasn't been an issue because it doesn't impact other platforms.

Sure, no problem. Although I still would like to push this to
ppc-aix-port/stage-9 and ppc-aix-port/stage first because that's where
we really need it. Anyway, the current plan is to merge
ppc-aix-port/stage-9 into jdk9 mainline by the end of January and
ppc-aix-port/stage into 8u-dev by the end of March (for 8u20). Would
that be ok?

> Using
> os.name initially would be okay although we could change that over time.

I've already written the native methods:)