On 01/15/2014 01:28 PM, Brian Burkhalter wrote:
Issue:  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-6667086
Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bpb/6667086/webrev/

According to micro-benckmarks, there is no statistically significant
performance change due to applying this patch but the code definitely looks
cleaner.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

A few comments here. If you are making this change in Double, you would make the corresponding change in Float too.

Some explanation on why I wrote these methods with the integer-field-based null check, some processors are implemented such that operating on the IEEE non-finite value of NaN and +/- infinity runs much more slowly than operating on normal value, sometimes orders of magnitude more slowly.

For the bitwise conversion methods, since we were biting the bullet to do the conversion anyway, I thought I would avoid the worst-case cost of tripping over a NaN by doing the NaN check on the integer value.

However, I will vote to approve the replacement of that code with "isNaN" checks as long as Float and Double are both converted.

Cheers,

-Joe