On 12/02/2014 05:34 PM, Martin Buchholz wrote:
I support Peter's initiative and am willing to help review if we have
general consensus about the direction.

Peter's implementation scheme of using Unix /dev/urandom
or the Windows Crypto API (or something else on failure) seems
like the best options. I don't see why we shouldn't place this
as a jdk9 public static method in one of the existing random classes
though (Random, SplittableRandom, ThreadLocalRandom, SecureRandom),
rather than as separate entity. (If desired, for jdk8 backport,
it could be non-public, with cheats to access.)

-Doug

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk9-dev/SystemRandom/webrev.01/

The API looks reasonable to me too, I'm just not sure that java.util is the
right place and whether it needs to be a Java SE API.

-Alan