Hi Peter,

On 3/10/2015 5:17 AM, Peter Levart wrote:
Hi,

On 03/09/2015 07:46 PM, Roger Riggs wrote:
Hi Jason,

Comparing with startInstant is a possibility, assuming it is cached in the ProcessHandle and increases the cost of creating ProcessHandles since it needs to be parsed from /proc files.

Unless it is obtained lazily and then cached. Internal logic of Process[Handle][Impl] doesn't need Comparable interface, right? Only client code might need it to order instances and identify duplicates.
Correct, though if cached lazily, there might be an issue with its validity some indeterminate time later; but that's not worse than the case today without a timestamp.

Returning 0 from ph1.compareTo(ph2) for two otherwise distinct system processes (in case getPid() is not supported) means that such objects can't be used as keys in TreeMap. If we can't support Comparable to be a total-order that differentiates objects based on some form of process identity, we might better not implement Comparable and let users use getPid() and/or make their own Comparators to support custom Process[Handle] implementations, etc...
That's always an option; though it will be harder for an application to cope with having
to refer to comparators for custom implementations.

At least for Process objects that are guaranteed to be singletons per system process, there could be a tie-breaking integer allocated at construction time.
yes, for example, Instead of -1, Process.getPid() could assign a unique negative long.

ProcessHandle is new API and we can mandate the implementations to support some sort of total-order Comparable even if getPid() is not supported. That raises the question: should we also mandate ProcessHandle.equals() to return true for ph1.equals(ph2) when and only when ph1 represents the same system process as ph2? Process objects already behave like that with default equals (since they are singletons per process). To be sure that every external implementation of ProcessHandle adheres to that specification, both compareTo() and equals()/hashCode() should be declared as abstract in ProcessHandle.
ProcessHandle is designed to not to have an external implementations (the constructor is package private). Process can be extended, exposing the issues Paul has raised. But yes, equals should reflect that two instances refer to the same system process (as far as can be determined from the OS).

What this means is that different implementations of ProcessHandle won't be mutually comparable or equatable, but I don't see this as a problem if it is specified explicitly.
ok

Thanks, Roger

Regards, Peter

And it can help a long standing potential issue of pid's being re-used.
ProcessHandle is only within a single host; there is no cross host invocation mechanism.

Roger