Hi Roger,

Retrieving and caching the process start time as soon as ProcessHandle is instantiated might be a good idea. "destroy" native code would then use pid *and* start time to check the identity of the process before killing it.

At least on Linux (/proc/<pid>/stat) and Solaris (/proc/<pid>/status) it is not necessary to open those special files and read them. Just doing stat() on them and using the st_mtime will get you the process start time. I see AIX shares native code with Linux (unix), so perhaps AIX does the same. Mac OSX and Windows have special calls...

In case OS does not allow retrieving the start time (not owner or similar), it should be cached as some "undefined" value and treated the same when destroying. If while obtaining the ProcessHandle *and* while destorying the process, the start time of the process with a particular pid is "undefined" then there are two options:

1 - don't kill the process
2 - kill the process

They might actually be no different as the reason of not being able to retrieve the start time (not owner) might prevent the process from being killed too, so option 2 could be used to allow killing on any hypothetical platforms that don't support retrieving start time and it is no worse than current implementation anyway.

What do you think?

Regards, Peter