Hi Thomas,

On 4/16/2015 3:01 PM, Thomas Stüfe wrote:
Hi Roger,

thank you for your answer!

The reason I take an interest is not just theoretical. We (SAP) use our JVM for our test infrastructure and we had exactly the problem allChildren() is designed to solve: killing a process tree related to a specific tests (similar to jtreg tests) in case of errors or hangs. We have test machines running large workloads of tests in parallel and we reach pid wraparound - depending on the OS - quite fast.

We solved this by adding process groups to Process.java and we are very happy with this solution. We are able to quickly kill a whole process tree, cleanly and completely, without ambiguity or risk to other tests. Of course we had to add this support as a "sideways hack" in order to not change the official Process.java interface. Therefore I was hoping that with JEP 102, we would get official support for process groups. Unfortunately, seems the decision is already done and we are too late in the discussion :(
It would be interesting to see a description of what you added to/around the API. The reason to avoid them was one of simplicity and non-interference with processes spawned by native libraries. If that complexity can be understood process groups/jobs
could fulfill a need in a scalable system.

At this point, I'd like to deal with it as a separate request for enhancement.

see my other comments inline.