> On Nov 4, 2015, at 1:01 AM, Paul Sandoz <paul.san...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Steve,

> I don’t think we need to cache versioned entries (as we discussed a while
> back). For class loading it’s likely to increase memory costs without any
> performance benefit (if anything a performance decrease). It’s easy to add
> back later on if we have data that suggests otherwise.

Okay, I’ll take that code out.  As you said, it’s easy to add back if needed.

> We can reduce the search space for searching for versioned entries by setting
> the lower bound of the base version to one minus the first Java major release
> that has runtime support for multi-release jar files i.e. 8 as it currently
> stands.

Yes, I can do that.  I’ll need to change the test jar file from versions 8 and
9 to versions 9 and 10 because we won’t see the version 8 classes in the
current test jar and it’s nice to have a test jar with more than one version.

> 312      * @throws IllegalStateException if called after an entry has been
> read
>
>  … after an entry has been obtained (see ….)
>
> You might need some further clarification in setVersioned/setRuntimeVersioned
> itself describing the lifecycle e.g.
>
>  this method may be called one or more times after construction and before
> the first operation that obtains an entry,
>  after which the jar file configuration’s is considered immutable, and
> subsequent calls to this method will result in an ISE.

Okay.