2. void -> byte -> Object and void -> char -> Object box to null (test passes with 8141678 applied); bug or intended?

I've pushed 8141678 already, perhaps breaking some rules in the process.. I'll file a follow-up tomorrow.

/Claes

On 2015-11-09 22:18, John Rose wrote:
1. If the Wrapper.zero "leaks" as a reference into any of the public 292 API,
that would be a bug, since the API specifies that the conversion from a zero to a
box-reference is the same as mandated by the JLS for boxing conversion.  (This is like
Integer.valueOf(x), not new Integer(x).)

2. Since Wrapper is private, perhaps it is used in such a way that all the
references are hidden appropriately.  This is hard to prove and maintain, since
some of the conversion functions used by asType are associated with Wrapper,
and may (on occasion) call Wrapper.zero to provide a user-visible converted
reference value.  That would be a bug.

3. If there are no such bugs, at least the access function Wrapper.zero should
prominently and carefully document the fact that it is returning an uninterned
zero value, which may be incompatible with the intended use (if the use is to
emulate JLS boxing conversation, like asType or explicitCastArguments.)

For example:
      *     a zero value is introduced.

Test case:
MH h1 = MHs.constant(42);
MH h2 = h1.asType(methodType(void.class));  // drop 42
MH h3 = h2.asType(methodType(int.class));  // add 0
MH h4 = h4.asType(methodType(Object.class));  // box
Object x = h4.invokeExact();
assert(x.equals(0));
assert(x == Integer.valueOf(0));

— John