+1

/Claes

On 2016-10-27 21:24, Paul Sandoz wrote:
Gentle reminder.

Paul.

On 18 Oct 2016, at 11:41, Paul Sandoz <paul.san...@oracle.com> wrote:

Hi,

Please review:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/JDK-8163553-vh-mh-link-errors-not-wrapped/webrev/

This is the issue that motivated a change in the behaviour of indy wrapping
Errors in BootstrapMethodError, JDK-8166974. I plan to push this issue with
JDK-8166974 to hs, since they are related in behaviour even though there is no
direct dependency between the patches.

When invoking signature-polymorphic methods a similar but hardcoded dance
occurs, with an appeal to Java code, to link the call site.

- MethodHandle.invoke/invokeExact (and the VH methods) would wrap all Errors in
LinkageError. Now they are passed through, thus an Error like ThreadDeath is
not wrapped.

- MethodHandle.invoke/invokeExact/invokeBasic throw Throwable, and in certain
cases the Throwable is wrapped in an InternalError. In many other cases Error
and RuntimeException are propagated, which i think in general is the right
pattern, so i consistently applied that.

- I updated StringConcatFactory to also pass through Errors and avoid unduly
wrapping StringConcatException in another instance of StringConcatException.
(LambdaMetafactory and associated classes required no changes.)

Thanks,
Paul.