From: core-libs-dev <core-libs-dev-boun...@openjdk.java.net> on behalf of Ivan
Gerasimov <ivan.gerasi...@oracle.com>
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2017 12:49 PM
To: core-libs-dev
Subject: Re: [10] RFR 8134512 : provide Alpha-Numeric (logical) Comparator

Hello!

Could you please review at your convenience?

In the latest webrev I took all suggestions into account (unless I
missed something.)

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~igerasim/8134512/04/webrev/

I think, if the suggested comparator is found useful by the users, then
it may make sense to create the String-oriented variant, which can be
implemented through the CharSequence-oriented one as:

class String {
     @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
     public static <T extends String> Comparator<T>
     comparingAlphaDecimal(Comparator<? super String> alphaComparator) {
         return (Comparator<T>) (Comparator)
                 new
Comparators.AlphaDecimalComparator<>(Objects.requireNonNull(
                         (Comparator<CharSequence>) alphaComparator),
false);
     }
}

This will be safe, since the specification guarantees that
String.subSequence() returns a String.

Then in the application code it would be possible to instantiate the
comparators as

         String.comparingAlphaDecimal(String::compareTo);

         String.comparingAlphaDecimal(String::compareToIgnoreCase);

or, alternatively,
         String.comparingAlphaDecimal(Comparator.naturalOrder());

String.comparingAlphaDecimal(String.CASE_INSENSITIVE_ORDER);

But this could be deferred for later, of course.

With kind regards,
Ivan

--
With kind regards,