On 2017-09-28 16:22, Jason Mehrens wrote:
Admittedly this is more of a Claes Redestad faster boot up type change but, the
use of the AlphaDecimalComparator constructor in Comparator might force the
bytecode verifier to force load AlphaDecimalComparator just to check the return
type.

If you make factory methods in AlphaDecimalComparator you can usually craft the
return type to match and the verify of Comparator will not force load the
AlphaDecimalComparator.
Otherwise, the more ugly solution is to wrap 'new' with Comparator.class.cast.

Jason

... you called? :-)

You're probably right in the general case, but I think we avoid this particular startup issue here since the (HotSpot) bytecode verifier by default doesn't check classes defined to the the boot loader.

/Claes