> On Feb 15, 2018, at 4:04 PM, Remi Forax <fo...@univ-mlv.fr> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure we need 4, it's just a convenient method that may be slower than
> if the user code calls toString() (because of profile pollution),
> so i'm not sure i pull it's own weight.
>
> And about adding a default method into CharSequence, the default method
> should return a CharSequence or String ?

If you mean each class returns an instance of its class, I think that overlaps
Appendable..

> and what about the other implementations, AbstractStringBuilder and
> CharBuffer at least ?

This falls into the Appendable.append( T t, int count) realm mentioned
originally.

Long term this could be a goal, and maybe defaulting CharSequence#repeat
returning a string would be shortsighted.

But, I think having instance String#repeat returning a CharSequence would limit
its use (methods expecting strings.)

— Jim