"The input to jpackager includes: a Java runtime image, and a Java application
in one of several formats..."

Will it be possible to NOT include the JRE, but specify instead a pre-existing
location for the JRE?

As an example use-case consider an office productivity suite where there are
separate installers for a word processor and a spreadsheet application.  These
applications are independent and can be installed in any combination (word
processor only, both, spreadsheet only).  However they are part of the same
versioned application suite and have been developed and tested with a
particular JRE.  Only a single JRE needs to be installed.  The applications can
share it.  This is not the same as using a system-wide JRE (is that even
supported for Java 11 and beyond?).  But a shared private JRE controlled by the
application developer.

This is similar but not the same as the proposed "Multiple launchers" feature
(if time allows), as the shared JRE could be used by different software
packages.

In many cases the JRE is a very large part of the software installation, both
in terms of the size of the distributed installer package and the storage
requirements of the installed application.  JRE sharing can help with this.

I'm thinking that eventually we could get to the point where developers could
treat the JRE as a versioned dependency, also covering the case of customized
JRE images.  I don't propose that this jpackager tool be involved in creating
or distributing such JRE images, only that it supports running applications
using a pre-installed JRE where the location can be determined at installer
build time or perhaps install time.

This was possible with the javapackager tool.

Scott