On 11/12/2018 3:22 PM, Philip Race wrote:
Adding build-dev back ..

I noticed that module jdk.jpackager.runtime requires java.desktop on all platforms

So far as I can tell this is for a Mac-only support for receiving and
handling file open events. Probably it only makes sense or gets used
when the API is used from a running desktop application.

I might ask if we need this at all, but I definitely think it should
not be required on all platforms if needed only for Mac even if
we might want it on windows in a future version.

Do we not envisage cases where you need the runtime API for
some kind of daemon service for which there should be a singleton ?
Do you really want to force the desktop module to be dragged along
in such a case ?

I think we should remove this dependency even if it means losing a
MacOS feature at least for now.

1.) we could remove that functionality (I don't even really understand the use case for it), and remove the two arg registerSingleInstance method from the public interface, and remove the requires statement in module-info.java.

or ...

2.) we could move that functionality to a platform dependent class, having dummy methods of setOpenFileHandler in the windows and linux  platform dependent class.  Then we could add a module-info.java.extra in src/jdk.jpackager.runtime/macos/classes with that requires statement.

/Andy

-phil.