Comments in-line.
Thanks.

> On 10 Dec 2018, at 16:59, Roger Riggs <roger.ri...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Looks good, though some points to clarify.
>
> - The methods that use ByteBuffers should be clear that accesses to the
> ByteBuffers
>    are relative and use and modify the position and ByteBuffer exceptions may
> be thrown.

Added the line:
'Access to the ByteBuffer is relative and its position gets set to the buffer's
limit.'

> - The methods that write output (Strings) to an output stream might be more
> general
>   if the argument was a PrintStream, allowing the hex formatted output to be
>   assembled with other localized output.
>   I do see that as long as HexFormat is only writing hex digits, the effect
> would be almost the same.
>   (It would also eliminate, the inefficient code in getPrintStream that
> creates a PrintStream on demand).

I had wanted to provide flexibility by favouring OutputStream over PrintStream.
It is convenient for the common case of dumping to a file using 'new
FileOutputStream’.
As you note it complicates assembly with other output.

I guess it’s fine to change the OutputStream args to PrintStream.

>  - toString(byte[], from, to) and other methods there's no need for parens
> around the note about fromIndex==toIndex.

OK

>  - fromString methods: The optional prefix of "0x": add the phrase  "is
> ignored".
>     The IAE, does not mention the optional prefix, I'm not sure if that
> allows some confusion.

Added the line:
'The optional prefix of {@code "0x"} is ignored.'

Added an @throws to the method.

>  - dumpAsStream methods, the formatter argument is described as being used
> "if present";
>    it might be clearer as "if not null”.

OK

>  - dumpAsStream(ByteBuffer, from, to, chunk, Formatter) may be confusing
> because it
>    is using the relative methods of ByteBuffer, but the from and to offsets
> are within
>    the position .. limit buffer.  That should be explicit.
>    (Or consider switching to the absolute accesses in the ByteBuffer and not
> affect the position)

Is the additional javadoc line added earlier sufficient?

> - dump(byte[], OutputStream) - I don't think the example is correct, there is
> no reference
>   to a stream, only the PrintStream::println method, which is not static.

The code is just illustrative. Real values would have to be supplied for the
input bytes and the
chosen print method on the output stream. Typically, that print method will be
System.out::println