!             // these icons are pretty crappy to use in Mac OS X since
              // they really are interactive but we have to return a static
              // icon for now.

->

!             // these icons are difficult to use in Mac OS X since
              // they really are interactive but we have to return a static
              // icon for now.

Crappy != Difficult, it changes the semantics of the comment.

“unfortunate” or maybe “a poor substitute” would be a better replacement.

-jeff