On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 2:39 PM Andy Herrick <andy.herr...@oracle.com>
wrote:

> On 6/25/2019 1:44 PM, Scott Palmer wrote:
> > I just tried this out. One thing that has changed since my last testing
> was the “create-installer” vs “--package-type” parameter.
> >
> > “--package-type all” isn’t allowed.   If I want to create .rpm and .deb,
> or .exe. and .msi, do I need to run twice now?
> Yes - the new model is that only one artifact generated by each
> invocation of the jpackage command.  To build both artifacts now
> requires running the tool twice. This avoids a problem in the previous
> implementation when one package type succeeded and another failed.

I'm doing things in up to three steps now... first run jpackage to create
the application image, then run once to create each of the package types I
want from the application image, e.g. deb and rpm, or msi and exe.
I assume that is the right way to do it to reduce redundant operations...
though I suspect if making a msi and an exe there may still be
optimizations possible.

> > The --help output on macOS ends with the line “Platform dependent
> options for creating the application package:” with no options listed after
> that.  Are there options for setting the background graphic image of the
> installer package and different images for each flavour of .dmg?  The .dmg
> with the Application Bundle should be able to have a different background
> image than the .dmg with a .pkg installer.  The most common contents of the
> Application Bundle .dmg are a alias to the Applications folder and an arrow
> graphic on the background to suggest dragging the app bundle to the
> Applications folder.  For a installer package no such arrow image would be
> needed, though you may have a graphic with some instructions, or just
> branding imagery.
> Currently there are no “Platform dependent options for creating the
> application package:”, but this seems like a good suggestion to add one.
> Would "mac-dmg-image" or "mac-dmg-background" be an appropriate option
> name for such an option ?

 I don't like "image" because we are already dealing with that term
referring to something else when using the "--app-image" parameter, so I
would go with background.

I also just noticed that "--icon" is not allowed with "--package-type msi"
when creating the msi using --app-image.  It should be, unless there is
some other way to set the icon to show in "Add or Remove programs"?

Regards,

Scott